Thursday, June 08, 2006

Pas must learn to see things from the non-muslims' perspective

My friends in the Pas (Parti Islam Malaysia) attending their national conference these two days have mooted the 'new' idea of opening up the party's membership to the non- muslims. They are certainly very excited over the idea.
Two days ago, the Pas also launched their new publication in Chinese hoping that by doing so, it would bring the non-muslims close to the party.
Well, the Pas has always missed an important point which I always offer to advise them, that is, "do not try to make others understand you before trying hard to understand others".
To my friends in the Pas, Islam is everything. That is perfectly alright for them to believe so and I will definitely defend their right to so believe. However, to the non-muslims including me, such religious belief is a situation of "so be it".
As far as the non-muslims are concerned, Islam is not everything because the non-islamic religions have their own beliefs and theories that explain the universe. To the muslims, such non-islamic beliefs and theories should also be regarded as "so be it" by them. Unfortunately and sadly, that is not the case in this country.
I read an enlightened article by Wan Saiful Wan Jan who works for the Commonwealth Policy Studies Unit and the British Conservatives Party’s Research Department, both in London, published in the Malaysiakini today. I would certainly recommend my friends in the Pas, and also not to forget my friends in the Umno, to peruse the same.

No comments: