Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Canal City from Kota Kemuning to Sungai Langat

I had my reservation over the proposed Canal City project which I raised in the budget debate yesterday. Khir Toyo replied to my quiry as reported in the Star today:-

Canal will be used as a massive reservoir, says Khir
SHAH ALAM: The RM3bil Canal City project in the Klang Valley will also be a massive store of water that will be eventually tapped as a source of drinking water in Selangor.
Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Mohamad Khir Toyo said the state government was aware that it was out of new sources of drinking water and planned to use the canal system as a massive reservoir.
“The rainfall follows the season so we need a system to trap and keep the water over long periods until there is a need for it. The canal system will provide this facility for us apart from the other advantages that it will offer,” he said at the State Assembly.
Teng Chang Khim (DAP – Sungai Pinang) had earlier asked why the state government, which planned to construct the Canal City as part of its quest for mega projects, had not looked into tapping the canals as a water source when it was going to spend huge amounts of money to buy water from Pahang.
The Canal City project, expected to take off in the first half of next year, will connect the Klang River to Kuala Langat River through a canal system covering 2,185ha.
The project is part of a flood mitigation scheme that will complement a similar Federal scheme.
Dr Khir also said that the state government was also looking for a 300ha piece of land near the Kuala Langat-Sepang border to set up a new landfill to replace the one in Sedu.


Anonymous said...

1. If they had done well on the water preservation along the water catchments for reservoirs, their experience can be extended to this system. But, had they?
2. How to compare what are in existing in the existing water catchment to this proposed canal project? Size wise and the possible pollutant from these area?
3. How this 3 billion is spread? Or, how much it goes to land acquiring?
4. How much will be needed for the later water preservation if the water is for drinking?
5. Did the project got any feasibility study from the related Water Research Institutes and Ministry? The ecological study is also a very important point around the area.


Anonymous said...

One of our land was acquired in for this project, but the compensated amount was unsatisfactory (below market price) and we have yet to receive the payment.
I look at this project as an excuse for big corporation to increase their development land bank for development at the cost of the landowners.
If you study the plan carefully, the land used for the canal is merely 20%, and the rest of 80% are planned for development.
I hope the new government will do something to stop this useless mega project.